Monday, April 27, 2009

Interview with Tricia Mills

today we have the brilliant Tricia Mills, author of Heartbreak River, visiting us
_____________________________________
The Basics
1.When did you know you wanted to be> an author?
I honestly can't pinpoint a specific time, but I know the roots of it were there early -- as in when I was in elementary school. But I started writing my first book manuscript when I was in college. I got serious about submitting to agents and editors in 1996. Eleven years later, I sold Heartbreak River.

2.What’s the best part of being an author?
The creativity. I love that I can make up a story in my head, put it down on paper/computer file, and hopefully readers will eventually read it and enjoy it.
3. What’s the hardest part of being an author?
When the story doesn't come out as great on paper as it is in your head. I've never had writer's blog, but I've definitely had to push my way through some difficult writing spots.
3. What’s the most surprising part of being an author?
When someone e-mails and tells you that they've read your book. It's awesome!
4. What is your typical day like?
They vary, but it's a fairly typical day:
8 a.m.- 9 a.m. -- Get up, get ready, make breakfast, answer e-mail and do some blog cruising/updating if I have time.
9 a.m.-Noon -- Work on whatever writing I need to -- new pages, revisions, etc.
Noon-1 p.m. -- Lunch and watch something on my TiVo to give myself a brain break.
1-? (3, 4 or 5 p.m., depending on deadline needs) -- Work on more writing stuff and possibly running errands.
5-7 -- Fix dinner, eat dinner with husband, watch The Daily Show with him.
7-10:30 -- Promotional stuff, e-mail, other online stuff, housework, writing if I need to, watching TV.
10:30-Midnight -- Go to bed and read sometime during this time frame.

About the Book
1 What inspired you to write Heartbreak River?
Part of it was inspired by a train trip I took to San Francisco. A portion of the trip was along the Colorado River in the western part of Colorado, similar to the setting of Heartbreak River. There were lots of people rafting, and I wondered what it would be like to grow up in a family that owned one of those rafting outfitters.
2. What was the hardest part to write?
I can't go into specifics without spoiling the book, but there's a scene near the end that was difficult to write. I think readers will know what it is when they get to it.
3. How long did it take you to write and publish this book?
It took from July 2007 until this month to see the entire process through. I started writing in July 2007 (it was bought on proposal, before it was written) and finished it sometime that fall. But it went back and forth between me and my editor for several sets of revisions before gaining final approval.
4.What is your latest project that you’re working on (if you can tell us anything)?
I'm doing revisions on Ice and Desire, my second YA novel, which is slated to come out in the summer of 2010.

Extra Stuff
1.What was your most memorable part of highschool?
Hmm, probably graduating. :) I was so ready to go to college.
2. What is your favorite part of writing?
When I get a brand new idea and start furiously writing down notes about it.
3. Why did you choose to write YA novels?
I think it was late 2004 maybe. It was on the advice of my friend Stephanie Rowe, who writes YA as Stephie Davis.
4. Do you have any advice to give to aspiring teen authors?
Peer pressure sucks. Don't let anyone pressure you into doing anything you don't want to. And really, truly believe that any of your dreams are possible. I wanted to be a writer. It took me a long time to accomplish that, but I didn't give up. I'm a huge believer in persistence.

5, 4, 3, 2,> 1…..
5 of your favorite books
A Great and Terrible Beauty by Libba Bray (and the sequels)The Mediator series by Meg CabotThe Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsThe Gardella Vampire Chronicles (series of 5 books, not YA) by Colleen GleasonTwilight by Stephenie Meyer
4 things you can’t live without
My husband, books, Supernatural (my FAVE TV show), spending time outdoors
3 things readers probably don’t know about you
I also write romance for Harlequin American under my real name, Trish Milburn.
I want to be an extra or have a small, walk-on role in a movie before I kick it.
I don't like to fly. I take Amtrak or drive most of the time.
2 of your favorite YA authors
Stephenie Meyer and Meg Cabot
1 other career you probably would have chose if you weren’t an author
National park ranger. I went to college to be a journalist, and I still write for a magazine part time.

-Tricia

Thanks for being here Tricia and sorry to everyone for not posting this up right away.
Thanks!
-Jill

No comments: