Monday, January 12, 2009

Personal Post: Cures for heartbreak

this is a new post where I find a book and relate it to my life so you can learn more about me.


Cures for Heartbreak by Margo Rabb is a sad novel. I never made it all the way through and I tried reading it twice. It wasn't because it was badly written or had a bad plot line. This book just reminded me of times I'd rather push to the back of my mind. The first time I read this I was in 6th grade and I was clearly not ready for all of the cussing and mature scenes that I now can look past easily. The second time I read it was this summer before going into 9th grade. This was an even worse time for me to read this book because this past January of '08 I lost my Grandpa to pneumonia. So instead of reading this book where a girl loses her mother to cancer as an audience member I read it knowing her feelings, and her pain, and her loss. I couldn't stop crying. There is nothing that can replace that feeling losing someone close to you brings. It's in your gut and your head and your hands and everywhere. You can't escape it. Even thinking his name feels like someone twisted my stomach into knots. I hate it. I've never lost anyone before this. Reading this book was hard to stand without crying but overall the parts I read were really worth it. Its a healing process. It will be a year on the 29th but I feel like this happenned yesterday. I love him and miss him but know he is safe. Thanks for letting me share. Please leave your comments.

Jill

1 comment:

Steph said...

I have this one and I've heard on multiple occasions seen people who couldn't make it through, so you're not alone. I just got this for Christmas and can't wait to get started on it - I've heard it was great, and Margo is that person who wrote that article in the New York Times about how she's YA and she's OK (the anti-thesis for people who assume teen fiction writers are wasting their time/not worthy).

This was a great post, though. :)

Steph