Friday, May 15, 2009

My Big Nose and Other Natural Disasters

Sorry for the lack of posts lately but I'm back. I have 4 reviews ready to post and a guest blog but I don't want to overwhelm you with it all now or post it all now and make you wait another day or two again for the next review since I just started SHRINKING VIOLET and after these 4 I'm caught up on reviews and won't have one to post or anything until I'm done with SHRINKING VIOLET and I don't know when that will be.
OK now I'm rambling so I'll stop now...

Also can you help me out by telling me in the comments below what helps you the most about my reviews. (The outlined review and which part, the rating, other, the "One Sentence", or the written review.

Thanks so much
And sorry again.
-Jill
____________________________________________________________



By: Sydney Salter

SUMMARY:

It’s the end of junior year, and summer is about to begin. The Summer of Passion, to be exact, when Jory Michaels plans to explore all the possibilities of the future--and, with any luck, score a boyfriend in the process. But Jory has a problem. A big problem. A curvy, honking, bumpy, problem in the form of her Super Schnozz, the one thing standing between Jory and happiness. And now, with the Summer of Passion stretched before her like an open road, she's determined for Super Schnozz to disappear. Jory takes a job delivering wedding cakes to save up for a nose job at the end of the summer; she even keeps a book filled with magazine cutouts of perfect noses to show the doctor. But nothing is ever easy for accident-prone Jory--and before she knows it, her Summer of Passion falls apart faster than the delivery van she crashes. In her hilarious and heartbreaking debut novel, Sydney Salter delivers a story about broadening your horizons, accepting yourself, and finding love right under your nose. (from Amazon)



OUTLINED REVIEW:

Character Development: 6/10
Originality: 5/10
Plot/Story Line: 5/10
Ending:
8/10
Voice: 7/10
Recommendation: 8/10
Total Score: 39
Grade: B

RATING:
Cussing:
6/10
Drugs, Alcohol, Etc.: 4/10

Violence and such: 0/10
Sexual Content: 6/10
Aimed at: 13 and up

OTHER:
# of pages:
345pg.
Written in:
first person narrative, teen girl
Released on:
April 16, 2009
Tone: “beautiful” and funny

ONE SENTENCE SUMMARY:

Jory decides to spend the summer earning money for a nose job but she must first learn to cope with her clumsy self while searching for love

ONE SENTENCE REVIEW:

Written with humor, this is a novel that exposes the truth about beauty through the life of a clumsy, big nosed senior with confidence issues.

WRITTEN REVIEW:
This book was perfect for me to read at this time. After so many stories of death or other harsher subjects, reading MY BIG NOSE AND OTHER NATURAL DISASTERS was the perfect light read. Humor filled every page. There were times when I was seriously laughing out loud at Jory’s clumsiness or obsessions or just her daily happenings. The characters were developed as much as you’d think a light summer/spring read would be. I couldn’t figure out her 2 best friends. They were unsupportive and judgmental. I almost think Jory was over exaggerating them to make us feel more sympathy toward her “pathetic” life since her mom seemed overly judgmental also. Though this book was light and cute and funny and everything you’d expect from a perfect beach read it also had a layer of depth I wasn’t expecting. It went beyond “I’m so ugly” comments you expect in a beauty story and actually explained through Jory’s distinctive voice why this problem started (AKA friends and mom who are totally unsupportive or body obsessive) and it got more into self image and confidence issues we all face but Jory’s version had a lot more humor with it than an average person would. Or at least I hope…

2 comments:

Thao said...

Love the review. I can't wait to read this book. It sounds cute and fun.

About the reviews, I love the outlined and one sentence ones, really nice and unique ^^

Unknown said...

My favorite part is the written review because it explains it all in depth. Great review!