Monday, December 21, 2009

25GoC: Elizabeth Scott

The Time of Year

By: Elizabeth Scott


There are a lot of things to be thankful for each and every year. I know I'm thankful for my family, my friends, and everyone who has done so much to support my writing.


But there's one thing I'm not so thankful for, and that's how stressful holidays can be.


Isn't is strange how the one time of year when relaxation and peace and love and understanding are supposed to reign seems to boil down to who got what for who--and when--and dinners that end too fast, or worse, seems as if they'll never end at all?


I think a lot of us--me included--put so much focus on the holidays being perfect that we forget that we are, ourselves, imperfect. And that, as strange as it may sound, is something I think we should celebrate.


Forget perfect, and embrace all the things that make you the amazing person you are. When you see the relative who makes you feel about two feet tall or realize you forgot to buy a present or--well, who doesn't have a holiday disaster story??--think about this:


This is the time of year to celebrate everything--not just life, but who we are. Celebrate yourself. Be proud of who you are, and carry that pride with you.  And if you can't pick who you share your holidays with, then plan to spend time with people you love and who love you back. Take the time to look back on this year with people that make you happy. (And if you have to miss out on eating leftover Brussel sprouts, well--that's just a bonus!)


We're all here for a reason, and we all matter. That, to me, is what the holidays should be about. Celebrating who we are and those we love.


I can't think of anything better than that.


1 comment:

Alix said...

That's such a lovely thought and I read it at just the right time too.

Thanks and Merry Christmas